Thursday, August 21, 2014

Rotary Cutting!

Rotary cutting is an accurate and efficient method for cutting pattern pieces with a length and width measurement. Our patterns use rotary cutting techniques when paper pattern templates are not provided because they are something other than a square or rectangle. Though it is possible to make our patterns without rotary cutting tools, using a grid mat, grid ruler, and rotary cutter is preferred. Note that rotary cutting tools are basic to any modern sewer's inventory of supplies.
Grid ruler and really cool tape for grid rulers!

If you were to have only one grid ruler, which size should you get?  The 5" by 24" would be my suggestion. But I have tons of sizes and use them ALL. I love my 4" by 36", my 1" by 12", my 12" by 12", and even my 20 1/2" by 20 1/2".

I also like the cool colored tape shown above. If you are cutting lots of edges, let's say at 1 1/4", the tape can be put on the ruler, helping the quick identification of the 1 1/4" mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment